Nashville, TN 37203
- Temporarily Closed
The building which houses Merchants restaurant was built circa 1870 and since has been used for a variety of purposes. At first the buildings three stories were occupied by a pharmacy on the first floor, a hardware manufacturing company on the second floor, and a wholesale drug company on the third. The drug company was famous for producing alcohol and opium based “blood medicine” and the advertisements for it can still be seen on Merchants brick walls today.
In 1892 the building was constructed into Merchants Hotel. Guests could stay at this three-story hotel on the “European Plan” for 25 cents a night and have a meal for 25 cents more. All rooms had a bed and fireplace and privacy was not guaranteed. Famous guests that stayed here include Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Dolly Parton, Roy Acuff and many more.
The building was converted into a restaurant known simply as Merchants in 1988 and that’s what it’s use is today. Merchant's first floor operates as a classic bistro and bar. Merchant's second and third floors operate as a fine-dining establishment.